Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Letting Go

This will be the hardest blog I have written thus far. Letting go...letting go of what? Letting go of the things or people we hold the closest. In my case, and I'm sure in most cases, this would be our children. I know I've already written about Peyton going to college and starting a new chapter in her life, but I want to share what God has shown me the last couple of weeks. 

 First off, I read a daily devotion called "Jesus Calling". Last week the devotion book was opened to the date August 23, which is this Friday. It was on the table beside where Poncho sits. Peyton curiously picked it up and read what it said. The 23rd was a week away, so why would he have opened it to see what it said on the 23rd? Because that is Peyton's move in day for college and Poncho is emotional about this as well. So first I want to share what the devotion said. This is absolutely amazing....and there is no way it is coincidental that this was written for this day. So here it is....

"Entrust your loved ones to Me; release them into My protective care. They are much safer with Me than in your clinging hands.  If you let a loved one become an idol in your heart, you endanger that one, as well as yourself. Remember the extreme measures I used with Abraham and Isaac. I took Isaac to the very point of death to free Abraham from son worship. Both Abraham and Isaac suffered terribly because of the father's undisciplined emotions. I detest idolatry , even in the form of parental love.

When you release loved ones to Me, you are free to cling to My hand. As you entrust others into My care, I am free to shower blessings on them. My presence will go with them wherever they go, and I will give them rest. This same presence stays with you, as you relax and place your trust in Me. Watch to see what I will do. "

Wow! Now I will be 100% honest....the story of Abraham and Isaac has always bothered me. I couldn't understand why God would ask Abraham to take his son whom he loved and ask him to sacrifice him. Even though God provided the ram to use as the sacrifice when He saw that Abraham was going to obey. As a Mom who loves her children with all her heart, it seemed mean to me. And my heart broke for Abraham, Isaac and Sarah who had longed for a child for so many years. The story ended well and God has revealed to me why He asked this of Abraham. 

I am guilty of being a child worshiper. I worship my children. They are my Idols. The Bible tells us in 1 Samuel 1 27-28 "I prayed for this child , and The Lord has granted me what I asked of Him. So now I give him to The Lord. For his whole life he will be given over to The Lord."

Our Children are a gift from God and they belong to Him. They are loaned to us for a short time on earth and our job is to raise them by God's instruction. When we release them, they should have been raised to where they are able to stand firm on their relationship with God and find their purpose here on earth to further The Kingdom of God. We are to love them, nurture them physically, emotionally, and most importantly spiritually. We cannot carry out God's purpose for their lives or ours if we put them before God. We must teach them He comes first. Because we are not able to love them the way we should without knowing The love of God first. 

My heart is beating so fast right now as I type these words because I know there is no harder task than this. Letting go is not something that just happens one day....it is a choice we have to make each and every day. Entrust your children to The Lord. They are His and as hard as it is to imagine....He loves them more than we ever could and He knows what is best for them. This is a hard truth to accept but it is just that....the truth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment