Thursday, August 1, 2013

Learning to be Thankful during "trials"

I read a devotion and it was titled "Thankfulness opens the door to My Presence."  What does this mean?  It is easy to be thankful when things are going as we think they should.  When all is "well" with the world.  But if that were the only time we were to offer Thanks, the Lord would definitely be short changed.  Poncho's Granny would often say if trouble isn't already at your door, it's coming.  Not to sound like a Debby Downer, but we are all faced with trials at one point or another.

I learned to thank God in the midst of trials when I lost my daughter 12 years ago.  Someone told me as I was going through this horrible time to Praise God.  I'm sure I looked at them like they had lost their mind, but I soon learned to do this.  Believe it or not, I began to feel peace as I learned to praise him in my storm.  What could I have possibly been thankful for during this time?  I was thankful for the people he sent me everyday to care for my family or just to offer an encouraging word.  I was thankful for the outpouring of support from a loving community we call Odenville, AL.  I was thankful for my church family.  I was thankful for mine and Poncho's parents, who stepped up and took over despite the fact that they were grieving also. I was thankful for the loving extended family who loved me through this.  I was thankful that my precious husband and other two children were spared. I was thankful for my 5 best friends from childhood who walked with me each step of the way.  I was thankful for the phone call I received at least 5 times a day from a friend, who had to just make sure I was hanging on.  I was thankful for the nurse who prayed with us during Poncho's hospital stay.  I was thankful for all the other "angels" He sent our way.  Most of all, I was thankful for His strong yet loving hands that carried me through this time.  My list could go on and on.

My point is this...we may not always like what is happening in our lives.  No one loves to go through trials. But suffering is what molds us into the people we are.  We grow in the valley.  We learn to depend on Him.  We depend on Him through good times and bad.  So when things are going good remember "Every good and perfect gift is from above coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." James 1:17.  And when things are going "not so great" remember "We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance. And endurance develops strength and character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation."  Romans 3:3-4.  Our God deserves to be praised no matter what our circumstances are.  I promise,  Praising Him will set you free!


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this reminder, and for sharing your LIFE with me! :) I have missed seeing you every week. Hope we can see each other soon!

    ReplyDelete