Sunday, August 10, 2014

Chasing the Sunset

Last week I was going somewhere on 174 towards Springville. It was evening...the sun was just about to set for the night. As I was driving, I saw the sun as beautiful as I have ever seen it. It was so big and words couldn't describe how it took my breath away. Unfortunately, as soon as I saw it, it lowered into the trees that were in my vision. I sped up and almost raced down 174 just to try to get one last glimpse before it was gone. I almost felt a sense of urgency to be able to soak in the beauty that was placed before me. Unfortunately it set entirely too fast and I was only able to see the first glimpse. 

This week our family has been faced with uncertainty, pain and fear. I can't help but think about the way I felt driving that evening....as if my life wouldn't be complete unless I were able to fully place my eyes on the beauty that God had set before me. I have felt that same urgency this week. Obviously not about seeing the sunset, but about the urgency and desperation of hearing God's words and promises. I have chased Him with urgency and hung on to every word He has given me. I have searched Him and ran as fast I could to get a glimpse of His glory. Unlike the sun that quickly sets, He has been here every step. I have seen His beauty and felt His presence and comfort. I have whispered His promises until I lay fast asleep. 

I have also felt convicted and wondered why it takes feeling desperate before realizing that I am truly desperate for Him. Why do I chase Him with such urgency during bad times when His beauty is the same in good times? Don't I want to feel His presence everyday through all circumstances? He is much more than a sunset....He is the CREATOR of that sunset. He is the ONE who should be chased. The most beautiful part is, He isn't hiding behind the trees. He is here and waiting with open arms to welcome us. 

" As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God." Psalms 42:1

No comments:

Post a Comment